[jbosscache-dev] Let's make 3.0 backwards compatible

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Aug 18 14:55:12 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 18 Aug 2008, at 19:37, Bela Ban wrote:
>
>> +100. Do you suggest a bridge/adapter approach ?
>
> This could be an alternate approach.  We are talking about an adapter
> for making 2.x and 3.x compatible with 1.x interfaces; it would be much
> easier to do the same to make 3.x compatible with 2.x.  Potentially
> helps to keep the core 3.x APIs clean so if people want to use 3.x
> directly they have a chance to use cleaner APIs.
>
> The drawback is that everyone uses the adapter and never the cache
> directly, which beats the purpose of the new APIs altogether.
>
> Thoughts?

IMO the easiest, most reliable way to do this is to rename our packages
when we decide to break BC. It is also a strong incentive not to break BC ;)

i.e. org.jboss.cache3.x

Then we can provide an optional api emulation jar that has the old
packages. No classloading magic needed. Doing this even allows for the
possibility of simultaneous usage of both versions.

--
Jason T. Greene