[jbosscache-dev] Let's make 3.0 backwards compatible

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Aug 20 06:53:31 EDT 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, at 20:33, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>>
>>> Jarjar.  :-)  I really think it would work.  It would make
>>> upgrading individual jars hard and may bloat the overall download
>>> size a bit, bit it nicely isolates things such that different
>>> subsystems may be tied to different versions of dependent
>>> libraries.  Actually, upgrading needn't be that hard - e.g., all
>>> clustering code could be encapsulated in a single jboss-as-
>>> clustering-5.0.jar which includes jarjar'd versions of JBC,
>>> JGroups, other deps, as well as AS Clustering classes.  Upgrading
>>> could involve a new jboss-as-clustering-5.1.jar which may include
>>> a new release of JBC, etc., without affecting other JBC users,
>>> whether they be end user apps or other subsystems.
>>>
>> We'll discuss this in Neuchatel.  This kind of thing requires buy-
>> in from several projects, e.g. the hibernate integration is part of
>> Hibernate; the SFSB integration is part of EJB3. Both of which are
>> meant to work outside the AS (Hibernate for sure; EJB3 in as-yet-
>> unrealized theory.)
>
> In the meantime, I think what we can do to solve the 4.2 issue, is
> to provide the community with an ant task that would use jarjar to
> create a fully isolated jar for jboss cache and all of its
> dependencies.

I think the best approach would be a jbosscache-core-compat module (on
the same level as jbosscache-core) which consists of a Maven POM which
depends on jbosscache-core, which just handles the package relocation
and spits out jbosscache-core-compat.

Then another pair of modules - jbosscache-core-compat-1.x and
jbosscache-core-compat-2.x - which depend on jbosscache-core-compat
and provide interface bridges to 1.x or 2.x interfaces would do the
trick.

manik at jboss.org