[jbosscache-dev] Let's make 3.0 backwards compatible

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 12:26:37 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2008, at 04:28, Bela Ban wrote:
>
>> I added an item to our agenda for Brno, so we can discuss it there (on
>> FRI, but this will get shifted around anyway)
>
> Hmm, re: 3.x, I think we need to move a bit quicker than that.  I'm
> holding back 3.0.Beta1 until we decide on this approach, since it will
> affect whether:
>
> 1.  I revert to JBC 2.x interfaces
> 2.  move 3.x interfaces to a new package
> 3.  stick with new 3.x interfaces and rely on an adapter package.
>
> Thoughts?  Anyone want to take a vote on this?  :-)

Thoughts, not vote.

#2 I've gotta figure having 2 interfaces that are mostly equivalent
would have to cause problems.

#3: AIUI, that means creating a jarjar'd 3.x and an adapter jar that
exposes the 2.x API. Pro: end user apps have a stable API between minor
AS releases. Con: Hibernate and/or EJB3 integration is likely stuck
using 2.x APIs/the adapter, unless those projects are willing to support
and integration module that uses the jarjar'd 3.x packages. TBD, after
CR2 is out, since CR2 is near at hand and is my focus.

#1, I don't know how much that screws you up.