[jbosscache-dev] Let's make 3.0 backwards compatible

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 19:50:31 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2008, at 09:11, Manik Surtani wrote:
>

>>> #1, I don't know how much that screws you up.
>>
>> #1 seems like the cleanest/easiest thing as far as the AS and other
>> API consumers are concerned, even if it does pollute JBC API.  I plan
>> to spend a few cycles today revisiting these and seeing what can be
>> done to maintain compat.  For the most part (Cache, Fqn, CacheFactory)
>> this should be ok, just would mean having a lot of deprecated methods
>> around, but for the Eviction and Region interfaces it could be
>> tricky.  Could mean some sort of internal adapter.
>
> Ok, I think this is doable.  Unnecessary deprecated crud on most
> interfaces, but this is ok.  The only *really* messy one is the eviction
> stuff.  To do this, I have:
>
> 1.  Reverted interfaces so that EvictionPolicy, EvictionPolicyConfig and
> EvictionAlgorithm are as they were in 2.x.
> 2.  My new EvictionAlgorithm interface and it's
> EvictionAlgorithmInterface have been renamed to EvictionSelector and
> EvictionSelectorConfig - as I should have done from the beginning to
> prevent confusion
> 3.  Internal eviction logic all use the EvictionSelector and
> EvictionSelectorConfig interfaces.
> 4.  I have created an EvictionAlgorithmSelectorBridge which implements
> EvictionSelector, which will be used when a legacy EvictionPolicy is
> detected.
> 5.  Existing EvictionAlgorithm implementations have now been renamed
> XXXSelector and implement EvictionSelector
> 6.  The original XXXAlgorithm classes extend the XXXSelector, implement
> EvictionAlgorithm and are marked as deprecated, and are just here as an
> extension point.
> 7.  New features, such as EvictionActionPolicies, are not supported by
> this bridge (naturally!)
>
> Not checked any of this in as yet, still testing away.  :-)  I ought to
> be ready to check this in tomorrow, test with AS 5 trunk, etc.

I saw your changes, and reverted my recent POJO Cache changes to restory
the usage of the 2.x API. I had to make some other changes including:

- Resurrecting JmxUtil (this is needed by PojoCacheJmxWrapper, to know
where to register CacheJmxWrapper)
- Move InvocationContext from org.jboss.cache.invocation to
org.jboss.cache (otherwise the 2.x import statements will break)
- Restored generics on Fqn, but with some nice improvements that make
them useful:

i.e. you can now do stuff like:
Fqn<String> fqn = Fqn.fromString("/a/b/c");
Fqn<Object> fq2 = Fqn.fromRelativeElements(fqn, new Object());

Also, there are still issues with JMX. The wrappers no longer support
the old format, and some properties have been dropped. Also I need to
somehow mirror the new JMX API for POJO Cache, although is it ready yet?

--
Jason T. Greene