[jbosscache-dev] Config files

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue Feb 5 13:27:46 EST 2008

 From the conf call yesterday:

Currently the XML config parser looks for a <mbean ../> element, under
which it pulls out more specific JBoss Cache elements.

I could easily change the parser to accept this, or on failing to do
so, to pick up a <jbosscache ... /> container element. Perhaps even
log a deprecation warning when using the old <mbean ... /> container
tag.

This would affect a few things though:

1) We ought to then update all sample configs and docs to reflect this
"new" element
2) Document how the configuration will still accept old <mbean ... />
tags
3) Document how the <mbean ... /> tag can cause problems with AS 5
(unintentional deployment), and how this can be done properly with the
MC.

The question is, is this something we ought to defer for 3.0?  Or is
this critical enough to move to 2.1?  In terms of effort, this isn't
that great; in terms of risk, we already have a simple solution to
overcome unintentional deployment (don't package the sample configs
with jbosscache-core.jar, but package them in jbosscache-core-
tests.jar for PojoCache)

Thoughts?
manik at jboss.org