[jbosscache-dev] CacheLoader preload with region based marshalling

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 09:05:40 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2008, at 13:39, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> The regions are created/registered after start(); i.e. after the point
>> shown in the logs.  This is why I think it might just be a
>> configuration mistake that's been in AS 5 all along; just wasn't
>> exposed due to JBCACHE-1358. (In AS 4 there is no cacheloader involved.)
>>
>> Perhaps w/ region-based marshalling I shouln't use
>> <preload>/</preload>. A nice fix to
>> http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCACHE-1009 would include logic to
>> defer the preload until regions are activated.
>
> Yes, agreed.  And this is not necessarily overly complex to do either:
>
> When preloading stuff from cache loader:
> 1) Loop through all Fqns to be preloaded.
> 2) For each Fqn being preloaded, if any state is regionalised (i.e., a
> non-null region) check if the region is activated.  If so, proceed as
> normal, if not skip.
>
> When a region is actvated:
> 1) Check if the region is a sub-region of any "preload" Fqns specified
> in your cache loader cfg.
> 2) If so, attempt to preload that Fqn, but only for regions that match
> the one being activated.  Skip others.
>
> I wonder if it is worth fixing JBCACHE-1009 in 2.2.0.  It would warrant
> another CR in 2.2.0 though.  Thoughts?  Votes on this?

Per your comment on lazy loading being a virtue, I don't think I need
this for AS 5. It's a nice idea though.

Re: another CR, probably should have one anyone so I can put it in the
AS hudson runs for a couple days before it goes GA.  I can't put in a
snapshot anymore -- illegal.

>> TBH, I don't see why I want <preload>/</preload> at all for this usage.
>
> Yes - isn't lazy loading a virtue here anyway?  :-)

Well, I like to just throw random stuff in my configs in order to
exercise all the code paths. ;)

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering