[jbosscache-dev] JBCACHE-471 - Handling JGroups MERGE

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 00:08:31 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2008, at 19:26, Brian Stansberry wrote:

<snip/>

>> What's your gut feel on whether this will happen for 2.2?
>
> I think it's possible if that's where we set our sights.  At the end of
> the day, we'd include an interface and an adapter with no-op methods,
> and if people stick to using the adapter, the interface in question can
> later be enhanced for 3.x if need be with more sophisticated overloaded
> callbacks, to create more sophisticated handlers.
>
> In terms of my preference, I'd *like* to get it out for 2.2 to give the
> community more time to play with it, write handlers, etc., and help
> shape a more formal interface in 3.x.  Perhaps it could be marked as a
> "preview" feature, prone to change/enhancements in 3.x?

That certainly takes some of the pressure off the interface discussion.
:-) As long as it's "preview" in the sense of "we might change this a
lot in 3.x" and not in the sense of "these 2 impls we provide are not
quite production ready."  If it's the latter, probably not worth doing.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering
brian.stansberry at redhat.com