[jbosscache-dev] MC style JDBCCacheLoader configuration

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed May 7 10:11:55 EDT 2008

IMHO, if a cache loader supports a config option, the xxxConfig object
should expose a getter/setter for it. These classes are meant to be java
beans and should behave as such. I think the fact that
JDBCCacheLoaderConfig is missing some properties is a minor bug and we
should have a JIRA for it.

Following from that, IMHO by default configuring these objects in the MC
should be via the getter/setter.  That's something anyone with an IDE or
javadoc can figure out and follows typical IOC usage. The workaround you
came up with (good job!) of building a Properties object and passing to
setProperties() is a nice solution if we screw up and forget a
getter/setter. But it's not intuitive and is relying on code that really
exists just to support the limitations of our service.xml parsing. I
don't think we should encourage using it as the standard way.

 From there I tend to incline toward a wiki for documenting this. In the
next JBC release the getters/setters should be there, so why document a
no-longer-necessary workaround for a previous release in the main JBC docs?

Including an example in the AS docs folder is good, since in general
JDBCCacheLoader is a complex config and there aren't going to be any
uses of it in the AS for people to look at.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering
brian.stansberry at redhat.com