[jbosscache-dev] JGroups concurrent stack and parallelizing messages from the same sender

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue May 13 10:00:05 EDT 2008

Manik Surtani wrote:

>>> It is most critical in sync replication, correct, but why should it
>>> not work with the async case as well?  I'm guessing misaligned packets?
>>
>> Commit(A::TX-1) could be received *after* Commit(A::TX-2). Admitted, a
>> rare case, but if the COMMIT(A:TX-1) is lost and needs to be
>> retransmitted, this could happen
>
> The TxInterceptor would just throw out Commit(A::TX-2) if it hasn't
> received a prepare for that TX yet.  Locks would still be held by TX1
> assuming it's prepare has already been received.
>
> I guess the problem is in 1-PC but that is to be expected anyway.

It's not to be expected with properly ordered messages. TX1 is sent
before TX2, just doesn't get received first (perhaps dropped by network
and retransmitted). If you remove the message ordering guarantee and
don't have some sort of ack like REPL_SYNC gives you, transactions can
be received in arbitrary order.

[Semi-OT] On his last post on the forum, fungrim said the locking issue
he was seeing was on the sender side, not the receiver. This discussion
is about removing contention on the receiver.  I'm *speculating* what
he's seeing is blocking in FC.