[jbosscache-dev] Cache unable to write to cluster

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Nov 12 05:35:28 EST 2008

On 12 Nov 2008, at 10:25, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>> Yes, this was always an issue with the way we used FLUSH - that
>> someone in the group could initiate a FLUSH and then die leaving
>> other members' flushBlockGates closed.  TBH, apart from adding
>> timeouts to the flushBlockGate, I can't see how we would get around
>> this.
>
> Me too. I am confused how all these issues started to pop out now.
> How come they slipped for so long?

Yes, because in theory they could have happened with JBC 2.x, 1.x, etc.

>> Vladimir/Bela - in the scenario described (node initiates a FLUSH
>> and then dies) would other nodes still see a view change relating
>> to the node dying?
>
> They would. However, I will add this test case to verify it.

Ok - so we could add an extra check into the view change listener to
force an unblock if a member who initiated a FLUSH dies.  We would
also have to record the address of the member initiating the FLUSH in
the flushBlockGate.

Cheers
manik at jboss.org