[jbosscache-dev] EAP Compatibility Requirements

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 16:13:05 EST 2009

Hi Folks,

I am trying to get an understanding about what the specific
compatibility requirements are between EAP major releases, so that we
know what our limitations are with AS community releases.

The release taxonomy for EAP [1] states that for major EAP release
"Compatibility is not guaranteed but must be managed and upgrades must
made simple for users through automated tools and documentation."

This however seems to be focused on API and feature-set. What about wire
compatibility for our proprietary protocols? More specifically, is there
any requirement that an EAP4 JMS or Remoting client be able to talk to
an EAP5 JMS or Remoting server.

Such a requirement would mean that Remoting 3 and JBM 2 would have to
have wire level compatibility with their previous major versions before
they would ever be included as the default in a AS release. So there is
a big cost here.

[1] https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/clearspace/docs/DOC-6430

--
Jason T. Greene