[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Wed Jan 7 03:19:33 EST 2009

Jason T. Greene wrote:

>> Also, I may be wrong but I believe the UNICAST and NAKACK locks are
>> separate, so a thread carrying a unicast state transfer message from
>> node A will not block on recipient B because a multicast replication
>> message from A is being handled by another thread.)
>>

> I am not too worried about the locking, although that is a factor, but
> more about a multicast configuration, where you have state transfer
> traffic for N transfers hitting the multicast address. Even if
> everyone discards the traffic, it still has to be processed in java
> land, and it will be alot of traffic.

Why the multicast address ? State transfer should be between 2 nodes, a
provider and a requester, so it should always be unicast. If we bring
partial flush into the mix, where we block only the 2 participants in
the state transfer, then we should be OK. Not sure if we should do a
partial or a full flush though...

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team