[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Thu Jan 8 03:29:28 EST 2009

Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> On the side: I know a <big unnamed company> uses streaming state
>> transfer to do this. Not really the way it was designed for, but it
>> works well for them.
>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.nabble.com/Streaming-Message-Transfer---td14476343.html.
>> The 3rd posting from the top describes their approach.
>>
>> I still think though that JBC implementing this via chunks would be
>> the better solution.
>>

> So there does appear to be a common need for sending a large stream to
> members in the group. JBC needs it, Streaming State Transfer needs it,
> Farming needs it, and at least one customer needs. The question is,
> should jgroups support the capability at its core, or should such use
> cases use a p2p framework.
>
> Chunking over a messaging api will work, but it is definitely not the
> optimal approach. It is probably good enough. However, i suspect it
> becomes a problem when people have gigs of data to send.

Farming is deprecated, streaming state transfer already does this (using
a TCP connection), this leaves us with JBC.

It's not that I don't want to implement this, but this has a lot of
ramifications, and (IMO) few discernible advantages. For example, as
described on the JIRA issue, streaming has to be exposed at the
RpcDispatcher level, too, and that's quite cumbersome.

My gut feeling says we'll run into the same issues we ran into with the
Multiplexer.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team