[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Fri Jan 9 11:54:07 EST 2009

I'd do exactly the same; whether you do the copying in JGroups or user
space results in the same amount of copying...

Once NIO2 gets implemented, with scattering/gathering writes/reads, this
is a different story because we can then get rid of copies. That's going
to take a while though...

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2009, at 22:05, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>

>> BTW, is a *JGroups* streaming API necessary here?  The old AS Farm
>> service passed arbitrary sized files by sending byte[] chunks via
>> RpcDispatcher calls. Worked fine. That's not quite what JBC would
>> need, since FarmService read a chunk from a FileInputStream and
>> passed it to JGroups; you'd want an OutputStream impl that would pass
>> a chunk to JGroups when it's internal buffer reached size X.
>
> This could be done but this would involve excessive copying of
> buffers.  The whole purpose behind the JGroups streaming JIRA is to
> optimise away such unnecessary buffer copying between layers.

> http://www.jbosscache.org
> manik at jboss.org <mailto:manik at jboss.org>

Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team