[jbosscache-dev] Cache name in LOCAL mode

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 12:39:22 EST 2009

Mircea Markus wrote:
> Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm about to fix https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBCACHE-1465 to
>> make sure we don't encounter Thread name issues when using Cache
>> instances in LOCAL mode but I wanted to raise the following:
>>
>> In clustered mode, cluster name allows for each cache instance to be
>> distinguished individually but when it comes to LOCAL mode, there's
>> not a cache name as such, so if you had N LOCAL caches in a server,
>> how would you differentiate from one another when trying to search for
>> that instance in your JMX console?
>>
>> I think we could do with a cache name in general rather than limiting
>> us to a cluster name which by extension is used as the cache name in a
>> replicated environment.
> I don't see any reason for not having this, just the benefits.
> Another approach would be to add another attribute ("name") under the
> <exposeJmxStats> element, though I personally like Galder's approach more.

Actually, I like your idea more :)

Having a name in <exposeJmxStats> or similar jmx enabling tag probably
makes more sense than having a generic name. The problem about a generic
name is that then you have two names, name and cluster name and I could
see getting confusing for users, i.e., do I need to set a cache name for
a clustered cache? if so, what does it represent, cache name unique in
cluster or the cache name as it's known cluster wide...etc.

Cheersm

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer