[jbosscache-dev] Accessing Cache instances from AS5

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 03:51:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

Having looked at this forum post thread
(http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4235313#4235313),
I wanted to check, specially with Brian, what's the preferred method in
AS5 to get access to a local cache.

First of all, anything bound to JNDI needs to be Serializable.
http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/JMXMBeanRemoteProxy wiki explains
how to bind a proxy to an MBean into JNDI and retrieve it remotely.
Don't think this is what the user wants though. It looks as if he only
wants to access it from diff apps.

Traditionally, there was always the JMX method to retrieve a local Cache
instance (see http://is.gd/WOmk) but this section has dissapeared from
the latest JBC 3.1 documentation in http://is.gd/WOsH.

I know that CacheJmxWrapperMBean and CacheJmxWrapper have been
deprecated and instead org.jboss.cache.jmx.JmxRegistrationManager is now
in place but it's unclear from the code what's the alternative. One that
I can think of is MC bean injection but that assumes your app is build
around MC beans which could or not happen.

Finally, one thing to note to everyone, if you simply name your MC bean
with -beans.xml, it won't deploy it!! Thanks to Emanuel who helped me
figure out why a cache instance wouldn't deploy. Instead, it should be
named -jboss-beans.xml. I'll create a JIRA to fix this.

Cheers,
--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer