[jbossdeveloper] Updating quickstarts documentation between releases

Sande Gilda sgilda at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 09:33:27 EST 2015

On 01/07/2015 05:29 AM, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I think you are the right person for this, but I could be wrong…
>
> On JBoss Developer we index quickstarts for each product and render
> some of the documentation (README.md, CONTRIBUTING.md, for example) on
> the site. Here’s an
> example:http://www.jboss.org/quickstarts/eap/contributing/
> <http://www-stg.jboss.org/pr/714/build/1464/quickstarts/eap/contributing/>.
> We index the latest release of each quickstart from the related
> Quickstart repo in the JBoss Developer GitHub organisation. It’s
> important that we index the release, as we know it has been QA’d
> against the latest product GA on the site.
>
> However, there are several cases where broken links exist in the
> documentation that we are indexing. Notice the ‘Fork’ link on
> http://www.jboss.org/quickstarts/eap/contributing/. This is due to a
> broken link in the source content:
> https://github.com/jboss-developer/jboss-eap-quickstarts/blob/6.3.0.GA/CONTRIBUTING.md.
> This is easy to fix at source, but we would need to wait for the next
> quickstarts release (in this case EAP 6.4.0.GA) before JBoss Developer
> can consume the fix. Broken links are bad for user experience and
> adversely affect SEO, so we’d rather get them fixed sooner.

The CONTRIBUTING guide was moved to a common location to make it easier
to maintain and share across products:
https://github.com/jboss-developer/jboss-developer-shared-resources/blob/master/guides/CONTRIBUTING.md

I moved quite a few files to the common location to make updates easier.
The list is here:
https://github.com/jboss-developer/jboss-developer-shared-resources/tree/master/guides

Since this file doesn't ship with a product, we can update it as needed.
> One solution would be to allow documentation only changes to be made
> to quickstarts between releases. In the example above, we would create
> a commit (fixing the broken link) on top of the 6.3.0.GA release
> (https://github.com/jboss-developer/jboss-eap-quickstarts/releases/tag/6.3.0.GA)
> and then tag it as a new release. I think we’d have to use some naming
> convention to indicate it was just docs that changed. JBoss Developer
> would then index the new tag in order to consume the fix.
Should we create a new branch for these issues, for example,
6.3.1-develop and 6.3.1? Is it possible to create a new quickstart
distribution after GA?