[jbosstools-dev] JBoss Tools and Studio -- current state of the union

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 15:12:16 EDT 2012

== JBT 3.3.1 / JBDS 5.0.1 ==

Waiting on QE for final signoff. I'm assuming all will be fine and we'll
respin the ".CR1" bits to ".Final" and ".GA" this weekend so we can
release next week. Fingers crossed.

=== Next Maintenance Release? ===

There are a lot of issues that slipped into 3.3.2 / 5.0.2 but that
release is as yet unscheduled.

== JBT 3.4 / JBDS 6 ==

=== Target Platforms ===

Target Platform for JBT and JBDS have been merged so there's ONE TP for
both now (though the names haven't been changed yet). This was done
because I'm sick of having to maintain nearly-identical files. The next
step is to purge the cruft (eg., we don't need org.eclipse.some.feature
and org.eclipse.some.child.feature when some.feature contains
child.feature as it's redundant and just makes the file more onerous to
maintain).

New process for TP generation is now 1-directional instead of
roundtripping. In other words, we now manually maintain the versions in
.target files and generate a site from that. The old step of
regenerating the .target file from the versions of IUs found in the
provisioned site has been removed so that the .target file can now
contain multiple versions of the same IU (eg., javax.servlet.jsp).

=== Nightlies Are Available ===

Nightly builds are once again blue! There are still some red jobs due to
test failures, and a number of yellow ones (again, test failures), but
overall we're in pretty good shape and everything is spinning again.

As such, we have nightly sites running again for JBT and JBDS update
sites and installers:

http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/core/trunk/

http://www.qa.jboss.com/binaries/RHDS/builds/staging/devstudio-5.0_trunk.updatesite/product/

http://www.qa.jboss.com/binaries/RHDS/builds/staging/devstudio-5.0_trunk.updatesite/extras/

http://www.qa.jboss.com/binaries/RHDS/builds/staging/devstudio-5.0_trunk.updatesite/installer/

=== Job and Output Renaming ===

Eventually the links above will be renamed to 6.0_trunk instead of
5.0_trunk, and all the 3.3_trunk and 5.0_trunk jobs will renamed too.
I'm waiting on that until we also settle on what to call JBoss Tools for
Juno -- 4.0? 3.4? -- see JBDS-1987 for discussion.

=== Eclipse 4.2 skin vs. Eclipse 3.7 skin ===

Oh, and I noticed today that JBDS 6 looks like JBDS 5 -- the new Eclipse
4.2 skin has not taken effect. Not sure if that's intentional or not.
See JBDS-2244 for screenshots and to comment.