[jbosstools-dev] Should we build JBT 4.2 with JDK 7?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 05:54:39 EST 2013

For now I say, keep the jdk build requirement as low as possible.

Don’t just raise it to JDK 7 without the component actually needing/wanting it.

That said - Java 7 is what we should be targeting for *running* JBT/JBDS since
it is actually starting to be hard to get Java 6 on some machines ;)

One downside of moving from Java 6 to 7 is though we loose the option of 32-bit JVM
on OSX which in turn means we cannot support the visual part of VPE on OSX anymore.

But since VPE uses xulrunner which looks like it can’t run on GTK3 anymore we
need to find another solution for that anyway.

/max