[jbosstools-dev] Proposed change to JBT 4.40.Beta2-SNAPSHOT target platform: remove GPE/GWT, fix Atlassian

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 11:13:37 EDT 2014

Here is a proposal for a change to the JBoss Tools 4.40.0.Beta2-SNAPSHOT
target platform:

https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-target-platforms/pull/50
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-target-platforms/pull/49
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-target-platforms/pull/48

It consists of the following changes:

* JBIDE-16960 Remove unneeded GPE/GWT features/plugins from TP
* JBIDE-16910 Atlassian Connector cannot be installed (missing deps)

--

The above PRs have already been applied, so you can use the following to
try to build the TP locally to test it out:

Build target-platform:

    $ cd jbosstools-target-platforms
    $ git fetch origin 4.40.x
    $ git checkout FETCH_HEAD
    $ cd jbosstools/multiple
    $ mvn clean install -P \!multiple2repo

Try with just built target-platform:

    $ cd /path/to/your/component
    $ mvn clean verify -Dtpc.version=4.40.0.Beta2-SNAPSHOT -Pmultiple.target

--

If you want to perform a scripted install of the entire target platform
into your local Eclipse or JBDS instance, you can now do so with this

https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-build-ci/blob/master/util/installFromTarget.sh

Usage is documented in the above script, and in this README:

https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-target-platforms/tree/4.40.x#updating-versions-of-ius-in-target-files

---

More info:

The reason for the removal is that o.j.t.gwt.feature and
o.j.t.maven.gwt.feature have been removed from JBoss Tools
4.2.0.Beta1/Beta2.

You will notice that with the removal of GPE/GWT from the target
platform, its size on disk is now 200M smaller.

Big props to Rob Stryker and Jucia Jelinkova for bringing forth these
problems.

Why remove gwt and maven.gwt, plus the com.google stuff on which they
depend?

For JBT 4.1 / JBDS 7.1, we deprecated org.jboss.tools.gwt.feature - it's
still in 4.1 / 7.1, but it's a hidden feature.

For JBT 4.2 / JBDS 8.0, we have removed
org.jboss.tools.maven.gwt.feature because much of the com.google stuff
on which it depends cannot be installed on Luna. So we either end up
with a partially-working install, or we remove it entirely and wait to
see if Google actually produces a new GPE/GWT for Luna, including
support for Maven.