[jbosstools-dev] Advice on use of apache.directory.browser plugins

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Tue May 12 03:08:30 EDT 2015

On 11 May 2015, at 20:23, phantomjinx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wanted to get a handle on the way forward for use of bundles from
> update sites outside of JBT and
> JBT-IS.

We have a very explicit document outlining how to cope with additions to
our TP's - this applies to
*anything* that goes into JBoss Tools, including Teiid.

See
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/blob/master/building/target_platforms/target_platforms_updates.adoc

> Teiid Designer has the ability to model connections to LDAP servers.
> Up until this point, we have
> created the modelling UI from scratch but I have found that
> org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser has a superior set of UI
> widgets that Designer could make
> use of.

Never heard about it - got some more info besides just their updatesite
?

I found http://directory.apache.org/studio/

They don't seem to have had a release for 2 years ?

Any reason why we need their full content and not just take the controls
we need ?

> While experimenting I have appended the directory update site [1] to
> our eclipse TP but
> long term, if everything works okay, I would prefer a most resiliant
> strategy to avoid just
> situations as their update site suddenly disappearing.

Yes, we always mirror what we include in TP. But before we do we'll need
to check
what kind of dependencies etc. it drags in etc.

> Can I get some advice on how to proceed with this, in that should the
> update site be appended to
> the JBT TP? Should their update site be mirrored? Is this a
> non-starter?

Please, start by doing whats in
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/blob/master/building/target_platforms/target_platforms_updates.adoc

And yeah, for me the biggest issue is that there seem to have been no
release for 2 years so
who is going to maintain these is my biggest question.

/max