[jbosstools-dev] FreeMarker plugin deprecation

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Tue Mar 20 02:57:08 EDT 2018

Monday, March 19, 2018, 8:40:33 PM, Nick Boldt wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Any news from the Apache Foundation about their willingness to take
> the Eclipse Freemaker codebase from org.jboss and port it to org.apache?

So far it seems we will try it, but I will turn to the Apache legal
team very soon to find out the details. For I can put my question to
them with more concrete details, a question. Over the 12 years you had
several individual contributors who aren't Red Hat employees. Have
they signed anything that says that their contribution is the property
of Red Hat? That is, in our opinion, do you have the rights to give
their work to us, or only the work of Red Hat employees (and I hope
that the committers with such e-mail addresses have done this as part
of their work)? One of those individuals is me, and I have signed
nothing. I faintly remember that once I have marked a check box on web
form about my employer doesn't own my contribution or something of
that kind, but received no feedback.

> If not, here's another option you might like to explore. Angero
> Zerr (added to cc:) has started a prototype Freemaker Language Server:
>
> https://github.com/angelozerr/freemarker-languageserver
>
> He also has a feature/plugin for Eclipse which uses the language
> server to provide Freemaker support in Eclipse:
>
> https://github.com/angelozerr/lsp4e-freemarker
>
> As the future of Eclipse tooling seems to be around language
> servers, rather than language-specific plugins, this might be a
> better, more supported approach to consider. Maybe he'd want to contribute this work to the ASF?

It can be the future, but it doesn't seem to be a short term solution,
especially as my quick impression was that LSP4E is immature, and
considering that commit activity seems to be low (same worries with
BlueSky, which brings the most extra value to us). I'm also not yet
seeing if there will be enough momentum behind LSP4E. So this whole
thing is very much in the future.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany