[jbossws-dev] Terminology Change & MD Builder Refactoring

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at jboss.com
Mon Nov 20 00:23:38 EST 2006

In order to avoid confusion, I think it is important that we stop
referring to JAX-RPC deployments as "JSR-109 deployments". It's not
really correct since JSR-109 governs EE integration for both JAX-WS and
JAX-RPC. Instead, we should just call them "JAX-RPC deployments"

Also, I think it is important that we make a clear distinction between
JAX-WS and JSR-181. We should refer to the annotated endpoints that are
in JBossWS 2.0.x as "JAX-WS endpoints", and only use the term "JSR-181
endpoints" to refer to the old JAX-RPC based preview technology that was
in 1.0.x.

So these two changes leave us with the following deployment types

JAX-WS  - 2.0.x
JSR-181 - 1.0.x only
JAX-RPC - 1.0.x and 2.0.x

This usage of terminology should be consistent in both our code and
documentation.

As part of my work in JBCTS-414 and the eventual SPI, I have refactored
the metadata builders. This also included renaming them to match this
terminology change. I also have split them into separate packages so
that each deployment type can eventually be pluggable.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jason T. Greene
Senior Software Engineer
JBoss, a division of Red Hat