[jbossws-dev] Status and direction

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 04:25:43 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

please read this to the end - there is something todo for you. Merci.

We recently released

jbossws-1.2.1.GA    15-Apr   (to the community)
jbossws-2.0.0.CR5   19-Apr   (only to the repository)

both releases were cut from trunk only a few days in between. As you
might have seen on core jbossws-2.0.0.CR5 is our fully JavaEE5 certified
stack - jbossws-1.2.1.GA is some minor issues short of that. Its a
little unfortunate that we missed the jboss-4.0.2.GA by those four days,
but then again we were never aiming at JavaEE5 compliance with jboss-4.2.x

Following our 8 week release cycle, jbossws-2.0.0.GA is targeted for
1-Jul-2007 (giving some way for the lazy May). It will include some
outstanding bug fixes and stuff that comes up with the two releases above.

Concurrently we'll be working on general web service integration layers
for JBossAS and the ESB platform. We want to achieve plugability for
webservice implementations paving the way to run the Sun RI as an
alternative web service stack in both platforms. This is necessary
because we want to leverage the much needed WS-* funtionality from
project Tango (https://wsit.dev.java.net/specification-links.html)

This work will continue on trunk and be part of a future jbossws-2.1.0
release. We distribute our effort like this

jbossws-2.0.x   40%
jbossws-2.1.x   60%

Between now and code freeze for jbossws-2.0.0.GA (18-Jun-2007) we have
roughly 40 working days, 16 of which should be spent on jbossws-2.0.0. I
calculate 1.5 issues per day, which leads to about 24 issues that could
be resolved in that time frame.

Please let me know how many workdays you can *actually* dedicate to
jbossws-2.0.0 until code freeze? The good people from support obviously
have much less than 40 wd on the other hand they can dedicate all their
dev time to jbossws-2.0.0

workdays dedicated for jbossws-2.0.0 until code freeze (18-Jun-2007)

Thomas: 12
Heiko:
Darran:
Magesh: