[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: wsimport API, SPI, command line tool, and ant task

thomas.diesler@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 8 06:08:28 EST 2007

Yes, this functionality should be included in 1.2.0 for many reasons. The actual naming of the tools seems to be the only remaining issue and should of course not hold back this important feature.

Lets clarify and step back a little.

When consuming a thirdparty web service using jbossws (i.e. a web service client) one would start with the abstract contract as input

  | wsdl  -> [wsimport]
  |           +- SEI
  |           +- Service
  |           +- JAXB artifacts
  |           +- [wrappers]
  |           +- [impl template]

[wrappers] - are generated on demand (i.e. with doc/lit wrapped, for exceptions)
[impl template] - a template for the endpoint implementation could be generated

When providing a webservice using jbossws one would start with the implementation bean or possibly with an SEI

  | Impl  -> [wsgen]
  | [SEI]     +- [wrappers]
  |           +- [wsdl]

[wrappers] - are generated on demand (i.e. with doc/lit wrapped, for exceptions)
[wsdl] - could be generated if asked to do so

For branding reasons and clarity sake we cannot name the jbossws tools the same as the RI tools. After some whiteboard sessions, we came up with the following suggestions

[wsgen]: javatowsdl, wsserver, wscontract, wsendpoint, wsexport
[wsimport]: wsdltojava, wsclient

Our favorite choice is underlined.

I would like to reach a conclusion on this today, so we can actually bring the feature in and write about is here http://tddell.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php/JAX-WS_User_Guide#JBossWS_Tools

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4012965#4012965