[jbossws-dev] SAAJ compatibility tests

Alejandro Guízar aguizar at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 17:15:57 EST 2007

Lance,

I am a member of the JBoss Web Services team. The project lead, Thomas
Diesler, indicated you as the person to go to when questions/issues
about the CTS emerge.

I have one such question with regard to SAAJ tests. I was hoping you
could help me, either directly or by forwarding my question to the SAAJ
team at Sun.

-----------

The test case saaj/api/javax_xml_soap/SOAPElement contains two tests,
addTextNodeTest1 and addTextNodeTest2, that verify the addition of
non-whitespace text to SOAPBody and SOAPHeader under SOAP 1.1 and SOAP
1.2. Of the four assertions, only adding Text to a SOAPHeader under SOAP
1.2 is expected to throw an exception.

No explicit requirement on Text children of Elements appears in the SOAP
1.1 specification. This is consistent with the CTS assertions: text
nodes are always accepted.

The table below summarizes explicit requirements on 'character
information item' children of 'element information items' defined by the
SOAP 1.2 specification.

EII		CII content	Significant?
---		---		---
Envelope	white space 	no
Header		white space	no
HeaderElement	any character	yes
Body		white space	yes
BodyElement	any character	yes
Fault		white space	no
Detail		white space	yes
DetailEntry	any character	yes

Given the table above, adding non-whitespace text to SOAPHeader or
SOAPBody under SOAP 1.2 is invalid. This applies to SOAPEnvelope,
SOAPFault and Detail as well. The CTS expects SOAPHeader to throw an
exception but not SOAPBody. Other elements are not even tested.

What is the rationale behind requiring SOAPHeader to throw an exception,
but not other elements?

Thanks,

Alejandro Guizar
Senior Software Engineer