[jbossws-dev] Re: Explanation on how JBoss WS handles port numbers?

Darran Lofthouse dlofthouse at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 13:33:52 EST 2007

I am going to need some more time to look at the WSRP stuff but here is
some background on the  address being set to the https address in the
WSDL.

There are two almost independent areas of code responsible for setting
the address in the WSDL, the first part is the configuration.

Defined in the descriptor jboss-beans.xml there is the
'ServiceEndpointManager' bean, this bean can be used to set the web
service port and the web service secure port.

Anything that calls the get methods for these two values will receive
the values that were configured.  If the values have not been set the
'ServiceEndpointManager' will use the 'ServerConfig' to retrieve these
values, for JBoss this bean queries all the connector MBeans to find out
what the non-secured and secured ports are.

If the MBeans can not be found it defaults to 8080 and 8443 and logs a
warning.  If multiple connectors are found it uses the first connector
found and logs a warning.

That is the total code change that went into JBWS1115.

The second part is existing code within JBossWS that decides which port
to use, this existing code is based on if the transport guarantee has
been set in the web.xml or jboss.xml.

Looking at the forum posts I am initially suspecting that the transport
guarantee is not set in the appropriate descriptor, as they have defined
a https connector they can access the WSDL over https but this is not
enough for the address in the WSDL to be set to https.

Separately to this there has been another patch added to JBossWS to
dynamically rewrite the address in the WSDL based on the address the
client used to access the WSDL, this might be more what your users are
expecting - I need to do some further work on this for JBossWS 1.2.1

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.