[jbossws-dev] Re: JBoss web services versus AXE?

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Fri May 11 12:50:09 EDT 2007

Hi Rob,

Is "Apache Web Services" the Axis stack?

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/

If so, it is because Axis is the worst stack out there, which is also
far from beeing a JavaEE5 certified stack.

A more valid question would be why do we not ship with the Sun RI
(https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/) or XFire (http://xfire.codehaus.org/)
both of which are more feature complete and stable than Axis.

The problem with XFire is that it is not (yet) JavaEE5 certified and
does not (and will not) support JAXRPC.

The Sun RI is certified but also does not support JAXRPC but recently
has made good progress and provides support for a number of WS-*
specifications.

For future direction we plan that JBossWS uses both of these stacks as
the underlying engine. So you will be able to run

JBossWS: 	AS50, AS42, AS40, TC55
JBossWS-RI:   	AS50, AS42, AS40, TC55
JBossWS-XF:   	AS50, AS42, AS40, TC55

This is planed for jbossws-2.1.0 (01-Sep-2007)

Bottom Line: If you care about interoperability use a certified stack,
which Axis is not.

cheers
-thomas

--