[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: [Productivity] Level 1 - Start from scratch

max.andersen@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 9 08:26:30 EST 2007

I finally got around to read through these various threads about WS and productivity efforts.

I don't disagree with much in these threads so let me just state some points that you might or might not be aware of ;)

0) I am not a big WS guy - I've found WS to be to clunky to be bothered with; mainly because even with tooling WS is an XML hell and waaay to compliated (I know the annotated way make this more managable but annotation solutions didn't exist when I had to bother with web services ;) - Just know that when I in the future ask some stupid WS beginner question or assume too much or too litle about WS.

1) The only WS tooling we have right now in RHDS is what comes with Eclipse WTP (and that is mainly axis biased)

2) We *want* to get SoapUI back into the JBossTools build again - once when we get over the release hurdle of JBossTools/RHDS GA this will be a priority

3) Be aware that just because something is in JBoss Tools does not mean it will show up in RHDS

4) Looking into how you can integrate your docs/samples with Eclipse Cheatsheets would be very interesting

5) Providing Ant or Maven kind of samples is good - neither of these exclude good JBoss Tools support as long as they are done correctly

6) We/you shouldn't just go out and create an isolated WS-way of creating sample/projects - look into how the eclipse best support it...just using Eclipse as an glorified text editor to calling ant isn't really adding value ;)

7) We need someone who knows about WS to build proper WS support into tooling....preferably someone who likes to do both WS and write plugins ;)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4103236#4103236

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4103236