[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: Endpoint redeployment

richard_opalka do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 25 10:48:36 EDT 2007

We've got the following problem:

Thomas want to support the following usecase:
 * User will provide the web.xml which looks like:

  |   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  |   xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
  |   version="2.4">
  |
  |   <!-- Test that we can deploy an already modified web.xml -->
  |   <servlet>
  |     <servlet-name>Hello</servlet-name>
  |     <servlet-class>org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.EndpointServlet</servlet-class>
  |     <init-param>
  |       <param-name>jboss.ws.endpoint</param-name>
  |       <param-value>org.jboss.test.ws.jaxrpc.jbws124.HelloJavaBean</param-value>
  |     </init-param>
  |   </servlet>
  |   <servlet-mapping>
  |     <servlet-name>Hello</servlet-name>
  |     <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  |   </servlet-mapping>
  | </web-app>

REQUIREMENT: Such web.xml should be detected as webservice archive.

If I will consider server side deployment implementation how it works now then
this requirement is in collision with the following usecase:
 1) EJB archive is detected as webservice deployment
 2) web.xml file is generated for all EJB webservices
 3) web.xml file is modified in the same way as the above example (probably to not be detected as webservice deployment by non EJB deployer hooks in current implementation)
 4) War deployer hooks are called for created war deployment

If I'll consider the above requirement that such web archives should be recognized as
webservice deployments then this archive will be recognized as webservices
 archive and JBossWS war deployer hook will try to redeploy it. This redeployment will of course fail because the endpoint registry already have already registered EJB beans).

Questions to be answered during this discussion:
 * How could non EJB deployers detect that deployment work had been already done by EJB deployers and nothing should be done for such archives?
 * Do we really want to support the above requirement?

NOTE: In memory changes only are not possible, because we're talking about JBoss 4.x. So there's no workaround to creation of web.xml files on the file system.

Richard

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4088446#4088446

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4088446