[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: Simplify deploy/undeploy cycles for different stacks

adrian@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 20 06:36:18 EST 2008

Guys, why are you writing the deployment framework in the JBossWS project?

I've said this many times before, concentrate on webservices
and let the AS handle deployment/integration

If you have an issue with deployment that needs addressing then deal with
it in the deployment project, don't reinvent the wheel in an incompatible way
yourself.

e.g. in JBoss5 which deployments get deployed (and how they are configured/managed)
with be a property of the profile service not some internal hackery by you.
Choosing and redeploying the WS stack must be doable there
(which is potentially a remote management console managing and
provisiong a cluster).

All that will happen in the long term is that we will have to unpick your hackery.

ASIDE:

You're still providing your own as integration in the webservices project.
The responsibility of the webservices project is to provide the services
the AS project should do the integration that's what it is for.

If you don't understand what I mean then consider whether it is upto the webservices
project to define the configuration and packaging (a sar) for webservices
or whether you should provide the functionality and let the appserver
define its own configuration.
http://repository.jboss.com/jboss/jbossws-native50/2.0.3.GA/lib/

A few obvious examples of why this is broken:

1) The sar includes thirdparty jars that are not chosen by the AS project

2) The "sar" is in deploy mixing deployment and runtime configuration
in its beans.xml

The deployers should be the in the deployers folder not the runtime,
it should not require runtime dependencies to get the deployers in place
they should only deal with metadata (for validation purposes
inside a management console the runtime will be mocked or the alternatively
the runtime maybe "on-demand" dependent on whether there is a relevant
deployment).

3) You have your own "deployer" which means we can't use the AS deployers
to "interleave" new behaviour (modification of metadata to change/introduce
semantics)

The aop and messaging projects have similar problems, although I recently
decided to ignore aop's delivery of a sar and recreated it with the configuration
required INSIDE THE AS's ASPECT PROJECT
(which is only really a partial solution).

These complaints will probably fall on deaf ears again? :-(

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4130705#4130705

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4130705