[jbossws-dev] Re: Web Service Stack for EAP 5

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Tue Mar 18 09:38:20 EDT 2008

Hi Burr,

Please see my response inlined.

Burr Sutter wrote:
> Was that answer the same as the one below. :-)
>
> It seems that based on the current answer we are moving forward with
> JBossWS Native for AS 5, EAP 5 and SOA Platform 4.3.
> So the following are current & planned for "missing" items (I'm just
> trying to make sure that I have my story straight)
> - While WS-RM is a new feature, it appears to not be making it into AS
> 5.0, EAP 5

Yes, it will be in AS50 (release date 1-Apr)

http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

> - An incomplete WS-Security offering (I can't remember which features
> are considered to be "incomplete" - this comment was from a customer)
> - No AtomicTransaction
> - No BusinessActivity
> - No Coordination

You can monitor
http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-461

> - No Trust
> - No SecureConversation
> - No REST (not necessarily tied to JBossWS but falls in the same category)

We try to unlock these from jbossws-metro

> - No non-HTTP transports

We have jms transport

> - No non-JAXB serialization (e.g. JSON, JiBX)

We have JSON
http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-1165

> - No proof of .NET interop (a customer perceived value of the Metro stack).

We attend the .NET interop workshops, just like Metro does. There we
test the functionality we have available

Heiko, is taking care of
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=131839

> - No tooling in JBDS ( a recent complaint from a few customers, JBDS
> ships with Axis tooling and not SoapUI) - we'd like both contract first
> & pojo-first tooing

Tooling is indeed a very weak spot. AFAIK, we don't even have a strategy
for that since SoapUI is out (without replacement nor my consent).

> - No Notification (I'm aware that this is a dead standard, but people
> like it in the ServiceMix & CXF worlds)
> - No Spring integration (more people are adopting the Spring-way of
> "wiring" & configuration)
> - No JON, SOA Software & Amberpoint properly integrated for runtime
> monitoring/management/governance

Not on the roadmap, if not provided by metro/cxf

> How about WSDL 2.0? I'm drawing a blank on where that one stands but I
> think it is a No as well.

WSDL-2.0 is practically irrelevant AFAICT

>  From my "marketing" perspective, that is a lot of NOs at this point in
> the overall game.  BEA, Oracle & IBM are "hurting" us in this area.
> Luckily our customers haven't widely adopted WS-* overall but if we wish
> to be taken seriously in the SOA space, we'll need to at least keep up
> with the other open source engines (Glassfish, Geronimo, Mule, ServiceMix).

With the current resource situation we can allocate 25% (i.e. one guy to
metro/cxf integration)