[jbossws-dev] Re: Web Service Stack for EAP 5

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Tue Mar 18 14:10:03 EDT 2008

Burr Sutter wrote:
> Some questions/thoughts inline.
>
> Mark Little wrote:
>>
>> On 17 Mar 2008, at 18:52, Burr Sutter wrote:
>>
>>> Was that answer the same as the one below. :-)
>>>
>>> It seems that based on the current answer we are moving forward with
>>> JBossWS Native for AS 5, EAP 5 and SOA Platform 4.3.
>>
>> The SOAP abstraction layer will be present (already is present) in EAP
>> 5. We will support JBossWS-native in the first release and the team
>> will work on full qualification for other stacks as we move forward.
>> There are discussions being had at the engineering level around this.
>>

>>> So the following are current & planned for "missing" items (I'm just
>>> trying to make sure that I have my story straight)
>>> - While WS-RM is a new feature, it appears to not be making it into
>>> AS 5.0, EAP 5
>>> - An incomplete WS-Security offering (I can't remember which features
>>> are considered to be "incomplete" - this comment was from a customer)
>>> - No AtomicTransaction
>>> - No BusinessActivity
>>
>> We do have WS-AT and WS-BA support, just not using JBossWS.
> So when we say that WS-Transactions are there but not using JBossWS,
> what does that specifically mean from an end-user perspective?

It specifically means that it is not there.

Can I
> run both in the same container at the same time, mix & match endpoints?
> Can I annotate my POJO with @WebService and then change some
> configuration files to "engage" WS-Transactions capabilities?

You can as soon as this is documented in our user guide

http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=User_Guide#WS-Transaction

and we have automated tests for that. Until then its plain theory - some
people might say a marketing lie ;-)

>>> - No Coordination
>>
>> Same as above.
>>

>>> - No Trust
>>> - No SecureConversation
>>> - No REST (not necessarily tied to JBossWS but falls in the same
>>> category)
>>> - No non-HTTP transports
>>> - No non-JAXB serialization (e.g. JSON, JiBX)
>>> - No proof of .NET interop (a customer perceived value of the Metro
>>> stack).
>>> - No tooling in JBDS ( a recent complaint from a few customers, JBDS
>>> ships with Axis tooling and not SoapUI) - we'd like both contract
>>> first & pojo-first tooing
>>> - No Notification (I'm aware that this is a dead standard, but people
>>> like it in the ServiceMix & CXF worlds)
>>> - No Spring integration (more people are adopting the Spring-way of
>>> "wiring" & configuration)
>>> - No JON, SOA Software & Amberpoint properly integrated for runtime
>>> monitoring/management/governance
>>>
>>> How about WSDL 2.0? I'm drawing a blank on where that one stands but
>>> I think it is a No as well.
>>>
>>> From my "marketing" perspective, that is a lot of NOs at this point
>>> in the overall game.  BEA, Oracle & IBM are "hurting" us in this
>>> area.  Luckily our customers haven't widely adopted WS-* overall but
>>> if we wish to be taken seriously in the SOA space, we'll need to at
>>> least keep up with the other open source engines (Glassfish,
>>> Geronimo, Mule, ServiceMix).
>>>

>> Yes, that's correct. But show me the 10 people who are waiting to help
>> us add all of these capabilities into JBossWS within the next few
>> weeks, and maybe we can revisit.
> I'm certainly not trying to suggest that these capabilities would come
> without some resource investment.  With that said, it is a belief within
> the customer/prospect base that the integration of Metro or CXF would
> mean we get some/all of these "for free" by simply including their
> stacks in our platform. Now, I'm sure there is still a ton of
> integration work, QA work, testsuite integration, new test case
> creation, build system retrofit and this assumption is based on theory
> that CXF and Metro have high quality implementations of those standards
> that don't require us to fix.

http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=JBossWSSupportedStackComparison

[2] mean theoretically available, but we are working on it to make it
available

X means you have the choice in stack.

For example when we unlock Metros WS-RM I know already that the RM
receiver is bound to the endpoint. i.e. when the endpoint goes down the
client cannot send RM messages any more. Which IMHO defeats the
intension of RM. A customer that truly needs RM might want to stick with
Native until this is fixed in Metro.