[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Maven Dependencies Real Problem

richard.opalka@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 12 07:11:30 EST 2008

Relates to: JBWS-2376

Current Solution:

JBossWS allows to deploy multiple SOAP stacks (Metro, CXF and Native) to multiple JBossAS servers (4.2.x and 5.0.x).
To easily integrate different SOAP stacks with different AS versions we have a deploy magic implemented in each stack. This deployment magic consists of two steps:
 * deploy-artifacts directory creation (containing jar files and other artifacts that will be deployed)
 * deploy procedure using the artifacts created in previous step that integrates SOAP stack to particular AS
We also reuse this integration magic in AS code base:
 * where step 1 is omited there because deploy-artifacts directory is AS/thirdparty directory in such case
 * step 2 is slightly modified to don't deploy container integrations jars (these are created in JBossAS webservices module build process)

Identified problem:

We have to emulate AS/thirdparty directory structure to have full control of the jars that will get deployed to AS (because of reused macro).
AS/thirdparty dir is created by maven-buildmagic-thirdparty-plugin that copies all dependencies to thirdparty dir. This leads to multiple artifacts with the same name present in different directories (e.g. jaxb-api.jar).
Thus our deployment macro is error prone because:
 * we need to watch for changes in AS/thirdparty/pom.xml and any new mappings introduced there must be applied to all three stacks deploy macros (because we have to emulate AS thirdparty directory structure)
 * deployment macro have to use groupId/artifactId includes instead of wildcars **/artifactId (to match particular artifact and to allow us to have the control over the jars that will get really deployed)

Questions:
How to do it properly? Any opinions or suggestions?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4188749#4188749

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4188749