[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: Remoting 3 and HTTP client

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 18 20:18:37 EDT 2009

"richard.opalka at jboss.com" wrote : It's not clear to me what's going to happen with remoting?
  | Is it going to remove client side abstraction or is it going to change binary protocol in incompatible way so using it cross different AS versions is not an option anymore?
  | Do we need to remove remoting dependency from our client side?

This is what's happening.  Remoting 3 introduces a new API which is not compatible with Remoting 2.  It also is introducing new protocols which are incompatible with the old ones, though a translation layer is possible and is in the works in order to allow some level of interoperability.

As of right now, I'm targeting AS 5.1 to have both Remoting 2 and 3 in it, with Remoting 3 existing as a sort of tech preview.  At some unspecified point in the future, all services (such as EJB3, invokers, etc) will have been migrated to 3 and Remoting 2 will disappear (API and all).  At this stage, all clients should be using R3 (though it will still be possible to support R2 clients without having R2 exist on the server).

The HTTP abstractions (client and server) which appeared in Remoting 2 are more of an abstraction leak than an API feature, which came about from the fact that all of Remoting was basically stuck into a single JAR with no distinction between API, SPI, and implementation.  A similar abstraction is not going to appear in the Remoting 3 API because the interfaces therein pertain only to remote invocation.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4219315#4219315

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4219315