[jbossws-dev] Endpoint configuration - jbossws descriptors

Alessio Soldano asoldano at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 17:15:32 EDT 2011

Hi Richard,

On 04/28/2011 09:15 PM, Richard Opalka wrote:
> Comments inlined,
>
> Rio
>
> On 04/28/2011 04:28 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
>> Folks,
>> jbossws-native comes with the @org.jboss.ws.annotation.EndpointConfig
>> annotation for referencing a given endpoint configuration file. The
>> schema for that configuration file (well, it's actually for both clients
>> and endpoints, but let's stick to the endpoint case for now) is at [1] .
>> Basically, the configuration covers handlers, features and properties
>> (plus some native specific ws-rm stuff) and is used both for the
>> "default" configurations [2] and for custom user provided
>> configurations, perhaps even coming within a deployment. The same
>> configurations files can also be referenced on client side through
>> jbossws-native specific api. As of today, the most common usage is
>> probably for enabling WS-Security on native stack.
>>
>> Now, as part of [3] and considering the AS7 efforts around isolating
>> APIs from implementation stuff at runtime, I'm thinking about what to do
>> with @EndpointConfig.
> The same question I asked U few days back ;)
yeah, it just took time to really think about this... I was deep in cxf
2.4 move ;-)

>> - refactor the client/endpoint configuration schemas, pruning the native
>> specific stuff (basically ws-rm) and perhaps moving that to a native
>> stack specific extension of the schema;
> I'm saying it always&  I'll repeat it once again.
> I'd remove our Native WS-RM&  WS-Eventing staff, COMPLETELY.
> Both specs. don't fit JAX-WS spec.
> Even more both are not supported in EAP.
> JBossWS Native is also considered dead project.
> The AS7 is targeted with CXF.
> Native will be there (hidden) only for JAX-RPC functionalities.
Point taken on removing the WS-RM (and WS-Eventing) from jbws-native
4.0.0; I'll start by getting rid of the configuration stuff here in
endpoint config that's in the way for this work, we'll later remove the
actual implementation (not high priority right now, just needs to be
done by final release). JBossWS-Native is not technically a dead
project, but for sure its goals do not cover that stuff anymore given
the ws direction for AS7.

>> we might even have a cxf stack
>> specific extension for cxf interceptors, but that's not strictly
>> required now (jaxws handlers should be enough for now)
> I'd say no schema extensions, just handlers hooks should be supported.
OK, agreed, to keep it simply we at least start with no extensions for
now. If there's need for that, we'll evaluate in future.

> Go ahead ;)

Good, thanks for the feedback.
Cheers
Alessio