[jbossws-dev] AS7 WS IL prototype status

Alessio Soldano asoldano at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 12:56:53 EST 2011

Folks,
during the last weeks, I've been playing a bit with an initial AS7 WS
integration layer at
https://github.com/asoldano/jboss-as/commits/wsintegration . Now we're
at a point where we can at least start discussing on something tangible.
With the current prototype, I've been able to deploy and invoke many of
the most simple ws endpoint archives we have in our jbossws shared
testsuite (what used to be the jbossws-framework one) and some of the
jbossws-cxf specific one. The prototype targets jaxws pojo endpoints
only on purpose, no security support. The goal was just to isolate and
deal with the most initial issues with modules, classloading, AS7
deployment processors / subsystems / etc.
I've put aside for now most of what I've been talking about in previous
discussion on this topic regarding the way I expect us to use AS7
services, trying to just have a working set of deployment unit
processors for now. Later I/we 'll come back to this and other points.
Richard, Jim, I'd like you start taking a look at the prototype and
provide feedback. Please keep in mind the goal for now is to come to a
first patch being pulled in AS7 master, allowing for very basic WS
support. Once that's in, we can start dealing with the required changes
for new services and for all the features and details missing. The
reason for this is that my fork already has a *lot* of changes, many
modules addition to AS 7, etc. so it would be good to start having
something synch-ed before the fork diverges too much.

Tomorrow I'm going to cleanup/improve WSDeploymentAspectParser and
DelegateService. Before asking a pull, beside incorporating changes /
working on what you're going to comment on / propose / etc., we'll of
course need an Alpha release of JBossWS 4.0.0.

Among the things that needs to be done, I've started keeping a list,
that we'll convert into JIRAs once we all agree an it:
- Restore EJB3 support
- Restore JAXRPC support
- Restore security support
- Move to new AS7 management api ("detyped" stuff)
- Provide a context servlet
- Rewrite CXFInitializer so that it can better fit into an AS7 service
- Review our services dependencies on mbean server (do we still really
need it with the new management?)
- Provide new deployment / stack switch scripts, producing proper
modules for AS7 (both cxf and native stacks)
- Provide an AS7 compatible test framework (iow, restore our testsuite
against AS7)
- Add a minimal WS coverage to AS testsuite
- Provide hudson jobs for AS7 build and our testsuite runs against it
- Work on the service stuff I've mentioned in previous posts on AS7
integration topic
- Work on classpath / modular classloading: the goal would be to limit
exposing our classes (and all 3rd party libs they need..) to user
classpath... see WarClassloadingDependencyProcessor and
WSDependenciesProcessor

Cheers
Alessio

--