[jbossws-dev] JBossWS testsuite reorganization

Jim Ma ema at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 02:24:23 EST 2014

On 12/17/2014 06:17 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
> On 17/12/14 10:54, Jim Ma wrote:
>> On 12/16/2014 05:03 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
>>> Hi Jim,
>>> actually no, we can't, because when the latest moving target is used
>>> (wfly900 here, which comes from wfly master), the server.home prop
>>> is actually required, because the maven repo does not have the
>>> distribution artifacts.
>> wildfly upstream is our jbossws project consumer, and we need to
>> first make sure everything works, like we already did in past. I know
>> wildfly upstream changes very quick even in each day, deploy the
>> snapshot artifacts will be time consuming work for their build
>> machine. But jbossws requires the latest wildfly dist snapshot and
>> make sure jbossws can work well with wildfly integration layer. To
>> resolve the wildfly dist snapshot is missing, we can look at download
>> it directly from our hudson machine. This would be helpful for our
>> user to try our code, we don't require them to pull whole wildfly
>> upstream and build all snapshot artifacts before running.
> Making the build depend on the availability of a resource on jbossws
> hudson server is definitely a bad idea, sorry. That's a single machine
> which can be unpredictably down / not available.
But it's better than nothing. Besides that, we can always print a
message and ask user to built it by himself if it's not available. At
the moment , if we choose wildfly900 snapshot container, we have to
build wildfly first, then we can start our jbossws test suite first.When
we locally run the test suite, I need to either manually download a
wildfly9 snapshot or update wildfly upsream and build it by myself, I'd
expect this can be automatically handled in our build process.
> We should not mix different goals / concerns here; if users want to
> try the jbossws code and implement something new, we're fine with them
> testing with any supported container. If they choose to play with the
> latest moving container (which is btw the hardest approach), to me
> it's perfectly reasonable to require them to pull it and build it.

If there is wildfly900 snapshot is deployed, it is not that complex to
run with wildfly900.
> As for our release criteria, btw, the testsuite is required to pass
> against all supported target containers, which are all relevant.
I agree with this and no doubt. Choose profile to default not means, we
don't need to make sure others are not supported.

>>> Generally speaking, I'm not sure we should single out a container
>>> and run the integration testsuite against that; if we actually
>>> decide to do this, a released target would need to be used (also for
>>> future build reproducibility, we don't want to default testing
>>> against a snapshot version)
>> IMO, this is not a problem when both jbossws and wildfly are
>> snapshots and in development phrase. When we do release, we only need
>> to release the deploy stuff against wildfly9's future formal release
>> or wildfly810/wildfly800.
> Anticipating a future release version is not a valid solution (you
> never know... and the build is broken till the release is actually
> available).
At the moment , wildfly900 build can be make sure not broken. Each PR
will be checked before merge.