[jbossws-dev] Fwd: EndpointMetrics Refactor

Alessio Soldano asoldano at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 04:37:43 EDT 2014

Moving discussion to public dev list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	EndpointMetrics Refactor
Date: 	Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:58:46 +0800
From: 	Jim Ma <ema at redhat.com>
To: 	Alessio Soldano <asoldano at redhat.com>, Rebecca Searls
<rsearls at redhat.com>

Hi Alessio & Rebecca,

After discussed on IRC last week, looked at cxf's management code in
more depth
and wrote something to verify yesterday, it's time to sum up what can we
do to refactor
the current EndpointMetrics as I promised to make it better work with
cxf's management
implementation.

At the beginning,  I'd like to quickly list the cons of the current
EndpointMetrics
implementation.
- Because the statistics is fulfilled in RequestHandlerImpl , after the
response is successfully
     returned to receiver. The response related metric value could not
be updated in time, more
     details pleas see JBWS-3808
- It doesn't count the one way fault correctly.
- It doesn't expose all the attribute in jmx.
- If the cxf's management is enabled, user will get two different
statistics value. One is
     calculated  with jbossws-cxf's endpointmetrics which happens in
RequestHandler(servlet),
     and another one is calculated with ResponseTimeInterceptor(cxf's
interceptor).
The pros of current implementation :
  - It gives more accurate start time for each request.
  - It is simple and doesn't need to add more interceptor/extra code in
the runtime to collect
      the data.

 From the above analysis, one important thing we need to do is make the
EndpintMetrics seamlessly
work with cxf's management intercetptor and get statistics from one
place instead of generate two
copies from different implementation.
There is CounterRepostiry extension in cxf  which responsible for
creating ResponseTimeCounter
for each endpoint,  It can be the only source we get statistics for each
endpoint.
To get metric value from this class, we need to change following things:
1. Each ResponseTImeCounter(something similar to EndpointMetrics) is
lazily created in
     message interceptor and put in CounterReposiory with a long
ObjectName at the moment. We
     need to change it and add the ResponseTimeCounter for each jbossws
endpoint , then put it in
     CounterRepostiry with key name of endpoint name.
2. Change EndpointMetricsFactory abstract class to create with
EndpointMetric with endpoint
     parameter so the endpoint name can be used to create
ResponseTimeCounter.
3. Create new EndpointMetricImpl in jbossws-cxf and get metric value
from ResponseCounter
    which is created for each endpoint.
4. Change the ResponseTimeInterceptor and allow for define the counter
object name.

Besides this , I also need to refactor the ResponseTimeInterceptor to
make it log the process time
more accurate(by move ResponseTimeInInterceptor before several
interceptors ?). And also refactor
the ResponseTimeInterceptor a bit to handle the fault message correctly.

If you have any question and comments about this change , please let me
know.

Thanks,
Jim