[jbpm-dev] jBPM5 Request for Comments - feedback

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 09:40:39 EDT 2010

All the authorization part in my opinion should be left outside of the
framework scope. Because it always depends on business needs.
The way that it's handled in Drools Flow and in jBPM 3.2.x it's a good
approach.
About BPMN2, if the PVM supports different languages, JPDL can be supported
as well, but for interoperability reasons would be nice to have BPMN2 as
priority. jBPM 4.x also has that approach right? it was trying to support
BPMN2 as far as I know.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Sebastian Schneider <
schneider at dvz.fh-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hello Mauricio, hello Maciej, hello folks
>
> Am 17.04.2010 14:37, schrieb Mauricio Salatino:
> > It looks really good. I'm agree to put BPMN2 as default modeling
> > language. Other languages as jPDL and RuleFlow can be supported as well
> > but the focus needs to be on BPMN2.
>
> I have to say that I partly disagree here. In general the focus should
> be on BPMN-2.0 but to enable users to have a smooth transition at the
> beginning jPDL should have the same priority. It would provide a much
> easier migration from previous engines. This again leads to the
> question: How far will jBPM 5 be based upon jBPM 4.x.
>
> > On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM, <swiderski.maciej at gmail.com
> > <mailto:swiderski.maciej at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     first of all - I am glad to see some formal activities around jBPM.
> >
> >     I would like to suggest to put some focus as well on authorization
> >     that should provide at least some basic option to restrict access to
> >     selected processes to users with granted roles, etc.
>
> IMHO it should also be possible to leave authorization to the
> application - for the reason of embeddability. So maybe this should be
> configurable and pluggable. Anyway in contrast to the jBPM 4.x right
> now, it should be possible to pass the username to engine when invoking
> operations on the API. A common use case is the "process owner" - the
> guy who started the process but also for reasons of audit and
> traceability: who performed which action on the engine. I don't what
> kind of support is existent in jBPM 3.2.
>

> >     There was mentioned that jBPM 5 will have WSHT - does it mean it
> >     will provide extensive support for web services? Currently it is not
> >     there and I think Riftsaw is dedicated for Web Service orchestration
> >     (BPEL). How jBPM will fit into that?!
>
> I understand this in the following way: a BPEL engine should fit in the
> overall architecture - kind of pluggable - but jBPM should not execute
> BPEL processes itself. However from the PVM's point of view this is
> possible. Since it will be a BPMN-2.0 there will be webservice support
> regarding service tasks since webservice calls are the only service
> calls standarized by the BPMN 2.0 specification.
>
> Regards
> Sebastian
>
> --
> Sebastian Schneider