[jbpm-dev] jBPM5 Request for Comments

McManus,Alexander Alex.McManus at oclc.org
Tue Apr 27 06:22:39 EDT 2010

Hi Kris,

We have no dependency on jPDL - we have a standalone Groovy DSL for
defining the processes. It gets parsed into a ProcessDefinitionImpl and
ActivityImpl model that references a small set of ActivityBehaviours. We
provide a Grails-style environment for defining node behaviour that plug
into these ActivityBehaviours. The emphasis is on providing a somewhat
simplified process definition language that consists largely of
assembling an extensible set of pre-programmed node behaviours.

We probably could also have layered this on top of jPDL, but it seemed
like using the PVM directly was a cleaner approach.

It's a bit of an aside, but one other thing that we've done is layer
multi-tenancy support on top of jBPM - that is, the ability to support
multiple isolated domains/organizations in the same jBPM instance (and
database). We are likely to have too many customers to make it practical
to isolate each one in its own database schema. It would be great to see
this in any new version of jBPM. Related to this, we are also intending
to take a look at adding some more sophisticated process deployment
functionality - for example, to allow different organizations to share
process definitions.

I'd be happy to discuss any of this in more detail with you if it's
interesting/useful, although I may have to get a nod from management and
take this off-list.

Thanks, Alex.