[jbpm-users] [jBPM Users] - Creating non technical Actions / WorkItems

barteljan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 3 06:31:32 EDT 2009

Hello everybody :-),

I'm evaluating several java-process-engines for an business project,
were we have highly non-technical process developer.

Although I like Jbpm very much because of it's lightweight java oriented architecture,
it is a diffculty for us that there is java-knowledge needed to model jbpm-processes.
(At least when linking java-classes to a java or custom node)

What we would need would be a generic way to extend jpdl like it is done in drools with the drools WorkItems.
We need some form of NodeTemplate which could be mapped on a existing node type (maybe custom or java) to hide technical information
like class and method names from the users.

This wouldn't be a problem if I would be able to find some documentation,
about an "easy" way for extending the GPD or the Signavio Editor or to add simpler non technical nodes programmatically.
(Sorry I don't wanne grump about bad documentation ;) , it' just to illustrate my problem )

The only information about that would be the following articel http://www.mastertheboss.com/en/jbpm/106-jbpm-best-practices.html .
Which describes how to extend the Jbpm-Api for adding attributes to the task node.
But beside this article is about jbpm 3.x, it seems as if their is much insider-knowledge needed to create new nodes,
especially if they should integrated in an editor.
I did a quick scan about the pvm-documentation but I realized that XML-Processing is made by each implementing api, which implicates that this document didn't help me to map such nodes to a common type ....

Did I miss something ? Is there a way of doing such customizing of jPDL and jBPM which I didn't realized or understood ;) ???

And if not, would you think it is possible to implement such a feature for an experienced java-developer with low jbpm
and eclipse background in let's say 40 days of development work ?

I suppose this is one of the few topics were drools-flow outperforms jbpm ....

I would be very happy for every answer even if it is a "RTFM" statement :-P

Thank you for your help

Jan

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4253277#4253277

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4253277