[jdf-dev] Need help with cheat sheet issues

Snjezana Peco snjezana.peco at redhat.com
Sat Jul 27 16:58:36 EDT 2013

On 7/26/2013 6:54 PM, Sande Gilda wrote:
> Snjezana made some comments in the pull, so I investigated further and
> discovered some interesting behavior.
>
>   * I checked out Snjezana's pull to my local file system.
>   * I copied his 'quickstarts/kitchensink' quickstart project to my
>     'workspace/' directory.
>   * I imported the existing Maven 'workspace/kitchensink' project into
>     JDBS
>       o Note that the project name is 'kitchensink'. (see the attached
>         workspace-kitchensink screen shot)
>       o I clicked on the default.xhtml icon in the cheat sheet and an
>         error appeared in the status bar 'Cannot open the
>         /jboss-as-kitchensink/../default.xhtml' file.'
>       o The file failed to open.
>   * I imported the existing Maven 'quickstarts/kitchensink' quickstart
>     project into JDBS
>       o Note that the project name is 'jboss-as-kitchensink'. (see the
>         attached quickstart-kitchensink screen shot)
>       o I clicked on the default.xhtml icon in the cheat sheet and an
>         error still appeared in the status bar 'Cannot open the
>         /jboss-as-kitchensink/../default.xhtml' file.'.
>       o I'm not clear why it's displaying that error because the file
>         opened and the lines of code were selected, which is the
>         expected behavior.
>
> So it appears the cheat sheet was created for a quickstart that is a
> subproject for all quickstarts and will not work when the project is
> moved to a different location.
>
> My questions are:
>
>  1. Is this the expected behavior or am I doing something wrong here?
>     As I said, I'm new to cheat sheets. :-)

When you test a cheat sheet that will be defined as a Maven project
example, you have to import it using New>Import>Maven>Existing Maven
Projects. The Project Examples plugin will create a project based on the
project's artifactId in the pom.xml.
You can also use the project name as a variable which is especially
important when adding a cheat sheet to an archetype. See
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-14333 i
http://docs.jboss.org/tools/whatsnew/examples/examples-news-4.1.0.Beta1.html
You can create a test project example using a Project Example user site
and test the cheat sheet with the Project Examples wizard.

> 1.
>

>  2. Does JDBS do something differently in the case where there is a
>     parent pom in the higher level directory, in this case, the root
>     quickstart pom file?

No, it doesn't.

>  1. Does this mean cheat sheets will not work if a developer copies a
>     quickstart project to a different location?

The Project Examples plugin imports a maven project using the Maven API.
Location isn't important.

>  1. In the near future, we plan to let developer download specific
>     quickstarts independently. Will the cheat sheets work in this
>     situation?

That shouldn't be a problem.

Snjeza