[jsr-314-open] [ADMIN] Proposal Faces Managed Bean Annotations For Containers that implement Servlet 2.5 and Beyond

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 6 18:31:29 EDT 2009

> Leave the annotations in for the simple cases, and leverage the EE6 stuff
> for the more complex.  There's no good technical reason to throw away the
> "low end" applications.

I would choose another word for "complex", perhaps "sophisticated" or
"refined". Other than that, I think we are in agreement as to the scope of
each option. I suggest we add non-normative text in the spec that recommends
for a complete DI and context management solution, developers should be
forward looking to JCDI. Of course, we can't say when it will be available,
but surely containers will start offering it as a backport as Web Beans is
doing.

It's refreshing to me, as an application developer, to know that a mature DI
and context management solution is going to be available without having to
go outside of Java EE (e.g., Spring) to get it. While we want to appeal to
the entry-level users with @ManagedBean and @ManagedProperty, we should also
assure those more advanced users that we have considered their needs as
well. Hence the recommendation for the non-normative text.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.