[jsr-314-open] AJAX library in JSF 2.0

Alaxander Smirnov asmirnov at exadel.com
Mon Sep 14 20:17:16 EDT 2009

I think Dan paint too dark picture about "dump in the kitchen sink" JSF
2.0 AJAX implementation library. I always kept in mind during AJAX API
development to make it flexible and extensible to give us and other
independent vendors place for innovations. From my point of view, the
most important thing to use the same Java and JavaScript API for all
component libraries to keep them interoperable.
But, it also seems for me that using only one implementation ( or two ?
) is not very productive. Different component vendors could have a
different release plans, different extensions and requirements. Also,
because core JSF libraries supposed to be integrated into container, in
many cases it would be much hard to application developers to change
implementation version instead of component library. Also, Mojarra ( and
MyFaces ) teams have limited resources, that cam slow down propagation
of features to implementation. So, the best strategy for JSF AJAX
development would be extensions from different vendors that could be
fine tested by their developers and community. JSF implementation
library should adopt the best solutions as it already done for JSF 2.0
AJAX API.
Of course, any extensions should be compatible with public API, and any
components should relay for that API only, so it is up to application
developer that implementation to use.