[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] [ADMIN] JSF Spec Short Term Plans

Edward Burns edward.burns at oracle.com
Sat May 15 12:15:46 EDT 2010

SECTION: Introduction
=====================

I realize my last message to this group was on 29 March 2010 ("Use a
Renderer on a composite component").  The reason for this prolonged
silence is that I was focused on Mojarra implementation work.  As most
of you may know, our star Mojarra implementation lead, Ryan Lubke, has
moved further down the stack and now works full time on Grizzly.  At the
same time, my colleague Roger Kitain has been helping to integrate the
JSR-299 RI from JBoss into GlassFish.  This has left me no time to
participate in this list.  I expect my participation to increase to a
normal level now that Roger is completing his JSR-299 obligations and we
now have a new implementation team member: Sheetal Vartak.  I'll
formally introduce Sheetal in another message so we can welcome her
properly.  Both of these developments, and the other status information
in this email will lead to more activity from Roger and I on this list.

SECTION: Short Term Development Plans
=====================================

When we last took up the topic of development plans, at the 20100224 EG
Meeting in Vienna, Austria, the only officially announced effort was JSF
2.0 Rev a.  In order to accomodate Sun's traditional constraints on the
scope of work done in a "Rev a" type release, we will now be undertaking
two simultaneous development efforts.

  "2.0 Rev a" will include work that does not require any change in
  behavior of the implementation (including any signature changes) or
  TCK.  This work will be limited to spec edits.  This work will be
  conducted under the JCP Minor Revision process [3].  Because there are
  no implementation changes, no new release of the Reference
  Implementation (RI) or Test and Compatibility Kit (TCK) will be
  produced to accompany 2.0 Rev a.  The existing JSF 2.0 RI and TCK will
  be sufficient for this purpose.

  "2.1" will include work that does not fit into 2.0 Rev a, yet is small
  enough in scope (at the community informed discretion of Roger and
  myself) to not require a full JSR.  This work will be conducted under
  the JCP Minor Revision process [3].  Because this work does include
  implementation changes, a new RI and TCK will be produced to accompany
  the spec.

These two efforts will run in parallel, but I expect this list to focus
more on 2.1 since the issues most of you care about do require changes
in the behavior of the implementation.

SECTION: 2.0 Rev a: Maintenance Lead: Roger Kitain

The JCP ChangeLog is at [4] and the issue tracker target milestone is
"2.0 Rev a".  We aim to start the 30 review clock on 2.0 Rev a on Friday
14 May 2010.  We aim to have a new draft of the spec incorporating the
edits around 21 May 2010.

SECTION: 2.1: Maintenance Lead: Ed Burns

The JCP ChangeLog is at [5] and the issue tracker target milestone is
"2.1".  We aim to start the 30 review clock on 2.1 in mid September
2010.  Somewhere in the next two weeks I want to have an EG meeting
where we can review the issues currently in discussion on this list, the
issues in the 2.1 ChangeLog, and the issues in the issue tracker so we
can control the scope of work for 2.1.  In the meantime, I'm going to
catch up on JSR-314-OPEN.

SECTION: Regarding the JCP status of the JSR-314 EG and JSR-314-OPEN at jcp.org

Now, regarding this list, I must point out the following text from
section 3.5 FINAL RELEASE of the JCP Process Document [1]:

  Upon Final Release, the Expert Group will have completed its work and
  disbands. The Spec Lead will typically be the Maintenance Lead and may
  call upon Expert Group members and others for aid in that role.

The JSR-314 Expert Group is indeed disbanded and Roger and I will share
the Maintenance Lead responsibilities.

For those of you who formally joined the JSR-314 Expert Group under the
Individual Expert Participation Agreement (IEPA), note this text from
section FUNDAMENTAL DEFINITIONS [2] of the JCP Process Document.

  There is no fee associated with the IEPA and it is valid until the
  Expert Group disbands.

For those of you who formally joined the JSR-314 Expert Group under the
Java Specification Participation Agreement (JSPA), note this text from
the same section.

  [The JSPA is] A one-year renewable agreement between Sun Microsystems
  and a company, organization or individual that allows the latter
  entities to participate in the Java Community Process.

This list, JSR-314-OPEN at JCP.ORG, is the official email list of record
for JSR-314 development.  Per the above stated section 3.5 FINAL
RELEASE, the JSR-314 Expert Group is officially disbanded, however, I
plan to continue to use this email list as the email list of record for
Maintenance Review work on JSF.  Note that any intellectual property and
other rights you had under your IEPA have expired.  If you are here
under a JSPA, note that those rights are contingent on the JSPA being
current and not expired.

Thanks for sticking it out through this silent time.  I assure you
Roger, Barbara, and I have made every effort to get to this point as
quickly as possible.

Sincerely,

Ed Burns JSF 2.1 Maintenance Lead

[1] http://jcp.org/en/procedures/jcp2#3.4