[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] 490-XmlViews Processing JSPX files as Facelets

Ed Burns edward.burns at oracle.com
Tue Oct 12 13:50:59 EDT 2010

AS> I had to take another look at the doc/code for the various context
AS> parameters in this area.  My understanding is:

AS> - The "javax.faces.FACELETS_SUFFIX" context parameter specifies a single
AS> file extension that is mapped to the Facelets engine.  This defaults to
AS> the ViewHandler.DEFAULT_FACELETS_SUFFIX value (ie. ".xhtml").
AS> - The "javax.faces.FACELETS_VIEW_MAPPINGS" context parameter allows
AS> multiple extensions/prefixes to be mapped to the Facelets engine.  This
AS> context parameter has no default value.

AS> To be honest, it isn't clear to me why two context parameters were
AS> necessary, since it seems that FACES_VIEW_MAPPINGS is more general than
AS> FACELETS_SUFFIX, though I suppose we just inherited this from Facelets 1.x.

This is correct.

AS> With the default values as specified above, .view.xml extensions will
AS> not not routed to the Facelets engine.  Instead, the application must
AS> explicitly specify this mapping via the FACELETS_VIEW_MAPPINGS context
AS> parameter.  If we want to embrace this new file extension more fully, we
AS> either need to:

AS> - Enhance the DEFAULT_FACELETS_SUFFIX context parameter to allow it to
AS> support multiple values + change the default value to ".xhtml
AS> .view.xml".  Or...
AS> - Specify a default value for the FACELETS_VIEW_MAPPINGS context parameter.

AS> Either of these seem acceptable to me.

I am reluctant to bind .view.xml to be "Facelets".  Yes, right now
Mojarra is using the Facelets VDL impl to process .view.xml but I'd
rather leave the DEFAULT_FACELETS_SUFFIX and FACELET_VIEW_MAPPINGS
unchanged for 2.1.  Note that I did change the value of
ViewHandler.DEFAULT_SUFFIX to be ".xhtml .view.xml .jsp".

I have just uploaded the latest expert community draft to
https://javaserverfaces-spec-public.dev.java.net/files/documents/1936/153512/jsf-spec-2.1-SNAPSHOT-20101012.zip

The content relating to this issue is in Appendix A section 1.2.

Ed