[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] [490-XmlViews] Chapter 11: The JSF XML View Syntax

Blake Sullivan blake.sullivan at oracle.com
Mon Oct 25 14:55:52 EDT 2010

Ed,

I read this the same way as you did originally, but Cay actually wrote

CH>  2) To not surprise developers with nonstandard XML processing (such as
CH>  processing*comments*).

[Emphasis mine]

So I think that Cay is either talking about the general issue of
comments being passed through, especially since he has his <!-- Comments
consumed --> example.

I also suspect that instead of saying "*all* elements prefixed", he
really means that all generated DOM elements have a valid namespace
either through prefixing or through the page author specifying default
namespaces:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<weNeedSomeRootElement
    *xmlns*= "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">
     <h:html>
         <h:head><h:title>Raw XML View</h:title></h:head>
     <h:body>
<h2>XML declaration: consumed<h2>
<h2>Processing instruction: consumed<h2>
<?xml-stylesheet href="funky.xsl" type="text/xml" alternate="yes"?>
<h2>CDATA section: consumed<h2>
<![CDATA[<p>This is CDATA</p>  ]]>
<h2>Comments: consumed<h2>
<!-- comments consumed -->
             <h:form prependId="false" id="form">
                 <h:panelGrid id="grid" column="2">
                   <h:outputText id="text" value="hello" />
                   <h:commandButton id="button" value="reload" />
                 </h:panelGrid>
             </h:form>
         </h:body>
</h:html>
</weNeedSomeRootElement>

One of the other aspects shown in Cay's example is that the
xml-stylesheet processing instruction would be consumed by the Facelets
engine, NOT the browser.

-- Blake Sullivan