[keycloak-dev] Changes to landing page

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Nov 14 10:05:02 EST 2013

On 11/13/2013 6:57 AM, Alexandre Mendonca wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working on KEYCLOAK-123: Refreshing page or opening
> bookmarked pages doesn't work. Basically the issue is that when a URL
> (eg: http://localhost:8080/auth-server/admin/index.html#/realms/test) is
> pasted or refreshed, we are thrown back to the default/first realm
> settings page instead of intended page.
>
> It basically needs some changes to the GlobalCtrl
> <https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/admin-ui/src/main/resources/META-INF/resources/admin/js/controllers/realm.js#L1> in
> order to not set any $location by default, leaving it to the angular
> router to handle the path.
>
> So, while fixing this, it made sense to me and Stian that the landing
> page would rather be a Realms List instead of landing on the first realm
> settings page. There's already a realm-list.html page made for this
> (which needed some fixes to work properly). So the idea now would be to
> make this page a bit more dynamic: in case the user is not logged in it
> should show a brief intro about Keycloak while in case the user is
> logged in, it would show the realm list (plus any other generic
> information that would make sense to be in keycloak "home page").
>
> Any comments and/or requirements on this ?

The original intent of loading a realm on the first page was to optimize
the number of user actions.  If most users only configure one realm,
then it doesn't make sense to show a list of realms. IMO, if there is
only one realm beyond "Keycloak Adminstration", then automatically load
that realm as the first page.  This will reduce the number of user clicks.