[keycloak-dev] relationship between application and realm

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Sep 13 10:14:42 EDT 2013

> You convinced me with poppycock...

I should have expanded on "poppycock", apologies...I get too excited
sometimes...

> I'll try to get out of the idea of a console that is more general purpose (this is probably where most of our disagreements on the console comes from)!

Every effort I've seen to do portlet-like like exchanges/sharing hasn't
worked out too well.  This goes all the way back to my Visual
Basic/Visual C++/OLE days and then, to watching how the portlet
specification failed to garner a component exchange.  Its why I'm so
skeptical of it.  We *MIGHT* be able to accomplish it with Red Hat only
projects, but as you already know, each project has their own favorite
(or legacy) UI framework and things are already an integration nightmare
for Uberfire.

Personally I'd prefer us to focus on company-wide UI standards/templates
and getting Red Hat projects to conform to them.  That in and of itself
is a lot of work for a engineering team that is already stretched pretty
thin...

For us, I think if we write some well designed and focused REST APIs
we'll be able to resolve most requirements for Red Hat projects.

> With that in mind, I'm happy with what you're proposing. Only one question though. If a developer wants to configure the settings for a specific application, for example add a role to the application, and doesn't know what realm the application belongs to (and there are many realms), will he have to just browse through all realms to find the application? TBH not sure how "common" this case would be, so is probably a non-issue.

They have to know what the realm is when they configure their
application to use Keycloak.   The realm is the "auth-server".

We'll have to see how people use Keycloak.  But don't you think the norm
would be 1 realm?  At most a small handful of realms?  Also, minus the
fact they have to know the realm anyways to configure their app, don't
you think they'd know this information anyways?  Or, even they'd be the
keycloak admin?